Every year Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation offers scholarships to nationals of countries outside the UK in pursuit of a full-time postgraduate degree coursework at the University of Cambridge. This annual scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge University.
Gates Cambridge scholarship is one of the highly esteemed International awards. Founded in October 2000, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation made a donation of US$210m to the University of Cambridge. Over 1,800 scholarships have been awarded to date to scholars from 111 countries. Each year, over 5,000 applications are received for this scholarship.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme is aimed at building a global network of future leaders who are totally committed to improving the lives of others. These men and women go into the world and develop innovative solutions for the challenges of the world. By attracting students from all over the world with different backgrounds, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships is committed to enhance community diversity.
80 total-cost scholarships is offered to excellent applicants from non UK countries by Gates Cambridge. Two-thirds of these awards is offered to PhD students.
This annual scholarship covers the following costs;
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance worth £17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate, which is for up to 4 years for PhD scholars.
- one economy flight ticket at the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
Gates Cambridge does not cover the following costs;
- bench payments
- the price of scientific equipment or similar academic resources
- additional payments charged by departments for fieldwork, orientation activities, mandatory study trips, courses outside Cambridge or similar.
Round 1: US citizens living in the USA only
Applicants must apply no later than 9 October 2020 for entry in October 2021.
Round 2: All other eligible applicants
The course applied for will determine the application deadline.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
To be considered for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility requirements;
- You must be a national of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- You must apply to pursue a full-time PhD, MSc/MLitt or one year postgraduate degree coursework at the University of Cambridge.
- Students studying a course at the moment who wish to apply for a new degree coursework are eligible to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
- Students who are already studying a course are not eligible to apply for the Gates Cambridge scholarship to fund the remaining of it.
- Undergraduate or part-time degree students are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Successful applicants will be selected on the following criteria;
- Reasons for choosing their course of study
- Excellent intellectual ability
- A commitment to improving lives of others
- Leadership potential
Application Deadline Candidates are considered in two selection rounds.
- With the closure of the entry application into the 2020/21 academic year, the entry applications into the 2021/22 academic year will open in September 2020.
- Application for admission to a postgraduate degree or college place can be done via the University’s Graduate Applicant Portal.