Fully Funded GIST Korea Scholarship 2021
Often times international students ask if there are scholarship opportunities in Korea. Of course! There are. As a matter of fact, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, which is a highly esteemed university in South Korea, is offering the GIST scholarship for Masters and PhD degrees.
South Korea is recognized as one of the best study locations abroad: after the United States, Canada and United Kingdom. In fact, it is fast becoming an international Highflyer in the field of education. When you talk of top student cities, you cannot help but mention Seoul, which is the capital city of South Korea. In 2017, over 120,000 international students applied to study in South Korea, with this number set to increase to 200,000 international students by 2023.
One of the major decisions you will ever make as an international student who intends to study in South Korea is choosing where to study for a degree and how to go about it. And that is why, in this article, I have talked about Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, it’s scholarship opportunity and how to apply. It will also interest you to know that no IELTS/TOEFL certificate is needed to apply for admission into Korean universities. You are happy, right?
Some international students have wrongly applied for some scholarships. What I mean is that there have been cases where PhD students applied for Masters scholarship thinking it was for them. But that won’t be your case because, in this article, you will know the exact scholarship being offered and how to go about it.
About Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
GIST international scholarship can only be obtained in South Korea and is offered for Masters, PhD and Integrated MS programs. The GIST Masters scholarship lasts for 2 years, whereas the GIST PhD scholarship lasts for 4 years. Due to the impact of COVID-19, some changes, which you will see in details below, have been made to the admission process. The deadline for this scholarship is 15th October 2020. Ensure you apply before the deadline day.
There are schools in Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology which the GIST scholarship is offered to. As you apply for admission, ensure you apply to courses offered in one of these schools:
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Life Science
- Department of Chemistry
- School of Integrated Technology
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Physics and Photon Science
- Department of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence Graduate School
Value Description of Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
It will interest you to know that the GIST international scholarship is a fully funded scholarship. This is to say, all financial expenses will be totally covered by the university.
Tuition Assistance (All students): Tuition Fully Supported: 3,415,000 won per semester.
Monthly Stipends (All International Students):
- A student allowance of 140,000 and 295,000 is won per month for M.S and PhD students respectively.
- Almost 100,000 is won as meal allowance per month.
Note this: students should have completed at least 9 credits in the previous semester for the above two.
International student allowance: a total of 120,000 is won per month. However, you must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, on a 4.5 scale, in the previous semester.
Research Assistantship (All students participating in research projects):
- 4,820,000 won per year of M.S.
- 11,480,000 won per year of Ph.D.
Health Insurance (All International Students):
- 60% of the Korean National Health Insurance fee is supported.
- Annual Medical checkup
Also, all incoming international students will be reimbursed for a one-way flight to Korea.
Read More: Best Online Colleges In Arizona
Eligibility and Selection Criteria for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
- Students, including you, from all nationality are eligible to apply for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology scholarship.
- Also, you must hold an undergraduate or masters degree (depending on whether you are applying for Masters or PhD respectively).
- You also do not need to show proof of IELTS/TOEFL language.
- You will be required to submit some documents as well.
- These documents are: Statement on Application Documents Submission [which is Form1], Certificate of Bachelor Degree or Diploma, Bachelor Degree Transcript, Certificate of Master Degree or Diploma, Master Degree Transcript, Two letters of Recommendation [which is Form2], Passport Copy, Letter of Recommendation for Matriculation Fee Waiver [which is Form3] (Optional) and Certificate of English Proficiency issued by your home university (Optional).
Application Deadline for Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
15 October 2020
Application Details For Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
First of all, you must complete an Online Application. Ensure you upload, or Email the required documents to the admission unit of the institution. Again, you must accept GIST Offer of Admission. Please visit the Official website of the GIST Korea University Scholarship to apply.