University of Tokyo International Students Scholarships in Japan 2021
Application for University of Tokyo scholarships is ongoing. This funding, offered by the Japanese Government, is for incoming international students who wish to further their higher education at the Graduate School of Science. This scholarship scheme is designed to assist students enrolled in Masters or Doctoral degree in Japan.
What should I expect in this article? You will get to know about the University of Tokyo Scholarship, the basic eligibility requirements, as well as a guide to apply for the scholarship.
Table of Content
- About University of Tokyo Scholarship
- Available Fields of Study in The University of Tokyo Scholarship
- Value Description
- Application Deadline
- Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Application Details/How to Apply for University of Tokyo Scholarship
About University of Tokyo Scholarship
The University of Tokyo offers a fully funded scholarship by the MEXT Japanese Government. This scholarship, however, can only be obtained in Japan. The award is designed for international students studying a Masters or Doctoral program, and is offered annually. As I write, the total number of scholarships offered is not known.
Also, this scholarship is merit based. For Master’s scholarship, the duration is 2 years. On the other hand, the duration for Doctoral scholarship is 3 years.
Available Fields of Study for The University of Tokyo Scholarship
At the University of Tokyo, a wide range of academic programs are available. However, this scholarship is not for all programs. It is precisely for Graduate School of Science.
The following fields are available for the University of Tokyo scholarship:
- Earth and Planetary Science
- Biological Sciences
As earlier stated, this scholarship is fully funded by the Japanese Government, at the University of Tokyo. It covers all student-related expenses, including:
- Full tuition and entrance fee exemption.
- Airfare tickets to-and-fro Japan to their home country.
- Monthly stipend of 144,000 Yen and 145,000 Yen for students studying Masters and Doctoral program respectively.
Furthermore, if you are undertaking a research in any part of the country, an additional 2,000 ‒ 3000 Yen may be added to your monthly stipend.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
You must meet the basic eligibility requirements for this scholarship in other to be considered. You must:
- Be an international student.
- Be from a nation with diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Apply to a field of study similar to the course you studied at your previous university.
- Not be more than 34 years of age, at the time of applying for this scholarship. That is, you must have been born on 2 April 1986 or after.
- Meet the English Language Requirements.
Application Deadline: Call for application to University of Tokyo Scholarship in Japan, by MEXT Japanese Government, will close on 30 October 2020. You are advised to apply as soon as possible.
It is important you know that the application will be done online. All you need to do is submit the University of Tokyo scholarship application. For more information about the application process, visit the admission page on the official website of University of Tokyo.