The yankee Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington, DC, USA, and also the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy, invite applicants to participate within the AAAS-TWAS Course on Science Diplomacy to be command in Trieste from ten to thirteen July 2020.
Two trends are getting clear within the early a part of this century; the bulk of challenges facing society have a transboundary, international, or international context; and science, technology and their applications underpin the cause or the cure to those challenges. As a result, science and technology are getting ever additional embedded into the foreign policies and mediation of countries. At an equivalent time, cooperation in science and technology is progressively making the most of each the technical and political interactions between states. as an example, establishing large-scale infrastructure comes in physics or uranology needs each scientific exchange and diplomatic agreements. additionally to facilitating cooperative three-cornered comes, science cooperation will play a very important role in establishing trust and building bridges between nations, even in instances once political relations are strained.
Given the growing role of science and technology in mediation, AAAS and TWAS established a partnership in 2011 targeted on science diplomacy coaching and engagement between the North and also the South, as well as our annual summer course on science diplomacy.
This course can expose participants to key modern international policy problems concerning science, technology, setting and health whereas providing an summary of however technical data has contributed to completely different policy developments and international structures. Another focus of the course are going to be a much better understanding of, and appreciation for, the roles of governments, international organizations and also the non-public sector in advanced science-based problems, and the way completely different governance structures are developed to deal with the wants and involvement of those different stakeholders.
- Travel, accommodation and visa expenses are going to be provided to the chosen participants.
- A restricted variety of areas for self-funded candidates from any country also will be accessible. Participants accepted within the course however not eligible for financial backing can ought to cowl their flight and flying field transfers, and can give a registration fee of EUR 650 to hide tuition, board and lodging for up to five nights.
Eligibility & selection criteria:
The workshop is intended for
- young scientists (below the age of 40) living and dealing in developing countries whose analysis and wider engagement has brought them into the international political arena,
- policymakers and diplomats fascinated by a number of the central science-based themes which may influence their work,
- analysis establishment directors and research funders targeted on distinguishing ways that to make international networks, and
- representatives from NGOs and alternative sectors performing at the science-diplomacy interface.
Alumni can be part of a world network of young leaders and innovators reaching across borders to deal with social group challenges and become agents of amendment in their countries and sectors.
Application Deadline: March 5, 2020.
- The completed application ought to be sent via the net system solely. Submission of applications by email can not be accepted.
- An professional committee are going to be established by TWAS and AAAS to review the applications received.
- Successful candidates are going to be wise to in April.