Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Young Women Leaders
The Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) for Young Women Leaders on Economic Empowerment is now accepting applications. SUSI for Young Women Leaders is a 5-week intensive program that will take place in the United States. The 2022 program will take place at a selected U.S. university from June to August. SUSI are short-term academic programs that aim to provide selected undergraduate student leaders from various countries with an understanding of the United States, as well as to polish their leadership skills and develop their knowledge of the United States.
As a result, this program is dedicated to undergraduate student leaders chosen by US embassies in the countries where they live. The consists of a series of activities, some of which are organized.
Value of SUSI for Young Women Leaders
For applicants selected to participate in the program, the program will provide the following benefits
- You will receive full coverage for all costs associated with participating in the program.
- The program will cover the costs of visa applications
- Your travel, including international and national transport, air and land, will be covered by the program.
- There is an allowance for books, cultural activities and related expenses.
- The program will cover accommodation and lodging for all participants
- Food will be covered for all participants during the program
- Selected participants will also receive medical insurance for the duration of the program.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria for SUSI for Young Women Leaders
SUSI welcomes applications from candidates who meet the following conditions.
- Applicants for the program must be a female leader
- Be a citizen of Uganda
- To apply you must be between 18 and 25 years old
- Applicants must have proof of sufficient proficiency in the English language
- At the time of applying, you must have at least one semester of your undergraduate studies remaining,
- Applicants must still be enrolled as undergraduates at their home institutions must commit to returning to their home universities
- You must be an excellent and successful student with good academic grades as evidenced by letters of recommendation and transcripts.
- Preferred applicants are those whose university studies are in the fields of science, social sciences, humanities, education, business and other professional fields;
- You should have developed an interest in the subject of Institute economic empowerment through courses, volunteering, independent projects, or work experience.
- Applicants must also demonstrate strong leadership potential and quality in their academic and community activities
- Selection of participants is made by the US Embassy in your country, so please contact the US Embassy for details on how to apply
- All program costs are covered , so you don’t have to worry about visas, transportation or accommodation
- The program will take place at a selected university in the United States keeping in mind the importance of complying with Covid19 protocols.
- There are different deadlines for each country. These deadlines are set by each embassy.
- Applications are submitted online, but the procedure and documents required to complete the application are established and may be different for each U.S. Embassy.
Application Deadline: The application is also different for each country, however most embassies have set January 14, 2022 as the application deadline
Depending on your embassy, you may need to submit the following information and documents
- Email or an application form contains your biographical information.
- A one-page statement explaining why you want to participate in the program, your leadership involvement, your community and what you intend to achieve through the program
- You will also be asked to submit your transcripts and your final grades
- Applicants may be required to request and submit a letter of recommendation