The international organization academic, Scientific and Cultural Organisation offers the UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education in 2020.
Gender equality in education may be a basic right and a requirement to assembling comprehensive societies. though notable progress has been revamped the last twenty years, sixteen million ladies can ne’er set foot in a very schoolroom (UNESCO Institute for Statistics).
The UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education honours outstanding and innovative contributions created by people, establishments and organizations to advance girls’ and women’s education. it’s the primary UNESCO Prize of this nature and is exclusive in showcasing self-made comes that improve and promote the academic prospects of ladies and ladies and successively, the standard of their lives.
The Director-General of UNESCO awarded the Prize for the primary time in 2016.
Established by UNESCO’s govt Board, the Prize directly contributes to the attainment of the 2030 property Development agenda, notably SDG four on education and five on gender equality. It additionally supports UNESCO’s world priorities enclosed within the Medium-term Strategy 2014-2021 and also the Gender Equality Action arrange 2014-2021 (GEAP II), moreover because the UNESCO Strategy for Gender Equality in and thru Education (2019-2025).
- Funded by the govt of the People’s Republic of China, the Prize is presented annually to 2 laureates and consists of a reward people $50,000 every to assist more their add the realm of girls’ and women’s education.
Eligibility & selection criteria:
- Individuals, establishments or organizations advancing girls’ and women’s education through a longtime and in progress project or program that has been running for a minimum of a pair of years.
- The two Prize laureates are elect by UNESCO’s Director-General on the premise of recommendations created by the freelance International Jury of the UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education, consisting of 5 specialists from all nation-states.
- The nominations can solely be thought-about if the project/programme:
has a clear target advancing girls’ and women’s education, and also the promotion of gender
equality in and thru education, and contributes to 1 or a lot of of the 5 priority areas of the Prize:
Participation: Supporting ladies to transition from primary education to lower-secondary
education and to finish full basic education
- Literacy: Supporting adolescent ladies and young women to amass accomplishment skills
- Environment: Supporting the creation of a gender-responsive and safe teaching-learning environment
- Teachers: participating academics to be modification agents with gender-responsive teaching attitudes and practices
- Skills: Supporting ladies and ladies to amass knowledge/skills for keeps and work has already been running for a minimum of 2 years; and
shows proof that it’s going to be replicable, scalable and/or offer vital learning potential for initiatives in different contexts
Application Deadline: May 26, 2020.
The nomination is online through their web site
Governments of UNESCO Member States via their Permanent Delegations to UNESCO, and non- governmental organizations in official partnership with UNESCO will form up to three nominations.
Self-nominations don’t seem to be accepted.